About ISTEC Initiatives
“In each of these broad realms of human concern — sustainability, health, vulnerability, and joy of living — specific grand challenges await engineering solutions. The world’s cadre of engineers will seek ways to put knowledge into practice to meet these grand challenges. Applying the rules of reason, the findings of science, the aesthetics of art, and the spark of creative imagination, engineers will continue the tradition of forging a better future.”
– Quote from Grand Engineering Challenges
ISTEC initiatives and programs are intended as a response to issues identified as Grand Engineering Challenges in the XXIst century. Our strategic focus areas are:
- Research and Development (R&D)
- ACE: Knowledge creation and transfer through professional development and curriculum innovation
- Liblink Digital Library Network: Information Exchange
- ISTEC-SALUD: Engineering applications in the delivery of healthcare and in healthcare education
- ISTEC-Innovate™: Curriculum reform and paradigm shifts in the formation of engineers.
- QualityCoach™: Quality Certification and Accreditation Readiness Program
These initiatives are set up to manage independent projects, based on Consortium member needs, but also to work synergistically with each other in the creation of interconnected knowledge communities driven by the principles of:
Sustainability Quality of Life Transdisciplinarity Complexity Science
ISTEC members are encouraged to participate in the free flow of information for the pursuit of technical excellence. By coordinating eminent personnel and resources from diverse geographical locations, ISTEC has developed a series of member-driven Initiatives: organized efforts that create activities to address specific areas of research, social, pedagogical, informational, and technological impact. Within each Initiative, projects are identified, planned, and implemented among members of the ISTEC network. Because they respond to the needs of our members and their communities, projects are dynamic and expandable, encouraging the creation of collaborative and highly coordinated networks that maximize the utilization of available resources.